Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Psychopath Test (Blog 2)

In chapter 4 of the Psychopath Test, John Ronson introduces his readers to the idea of how to detect a psychopath and the man behind the detection. Bob Hare created a list known as the PCL-R checklist. This checklist is what psychologist use to determine whether or not someone is a psychopath; the same test used to diagnose Tony at Broadmoor. By performing test like electric shock, Bob Hare could weed out the psychopaths from the non-psychopths. To do so, the individuals who showed no fear or anxiety prior to the shock were labeled psychopaths. By attending one of Hare's costly conferences, Ronson learned about these tests as well as the PCL-R checklist itself. Ronson finds himself very fascinated with the checklist and thinks of himself as an expert psychopath detecter. In chapter 5, we see Ronson putting his skills to the test by using the checklist to determine whether or not Toto is a true psychopath. Ronson also learns that psychopaths are often the people that one would least expect, like those who have a lot of power.


Oddly enough, I was pretty fascinated by these two chapters. Practically the entire time I was reading,  I found myself performing the checklist on myself. Obviously, I don't think I am a psychopath and was reassured by one of the psychologists that if I was questioning myself, then I wasn't a psychopath. The checklist is just so interesting that I think it forces us to question ourselves, much like what Ronson was doing during chapter 4. 

No comments:

Post a Comment